Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Integration of Guidelines

A Blogger's Insight: 

Review of Post-Assessment: UDL Lesson 

WELCOME BACK! You were curious right?? Curious to see how I modified and altered my lesson plan to incorporate the three UDL guidelines that we discuss in my last post.  Let's review again which guidelines I wanted to enhance throughout my lesson plan.  They are as follows:
  • 1.2 Offer alternatives for auditory information                     
  • 7.1 Optimize individual choice and autonomy                    
  • 8.1 Heighten salience of goals and objectives                  
In addition to these three bullets, I also decided to incorporate three more:
  • 2.5 Illustrate through multiple media                                    
  • 4.2 Optimize access to tools and assisted technologies
  • 6.3 Facilitate managing information and resources          
When identifying the areas of improvement, I was very confused, I'm sure like most of you were as well. Some of the words they used to define the guidelines are uncommon and/or specific.  I tried to CTRL + left click the actual guideline.  When I did this, it opened up the actual explanation of the 'standard'.  In addition to providing a description of each, it also presented reader's with examples of how you could incorporate each guideline into your lessons/curriculum.  TRY IT FOR YOURSELF BELOW! REMEMBER CTRL + left click.  After coming across this information, I was like the fountain of wisdom; wonderful ideas flowing through me that I could use to facilitate UDL in my classroom.  Some of the ideas were extremely far-fetched; things you would not have time, attention or money to use in your lessons.  Most, on the other hand, were PERFECT! It was accessible, flexible, differentiated, useful and organized.
You know that feeling you get when you just run across the finish like, or help that one student make it all click or when you finally beat that level of Candy Crush Saga (Sorry I'm an addict for that game), this was the feeling I got after changing my lesson plan.  I was so thrilled to use it in my own classroom one day and knew it would reach each student's individual strengths and needs.  I not only included areas for students' needs, I also was able to incorporated enrichment resources for gifted students or students who finished early.  All of the information I used in my lesson expand my 'toolkit' and the student's interest and success.  Like I noted in my previous post on UDL 'Toolkits', my personal 'toolkit' evolved once again!  

References:

         UDL Guideline Examples . (n.d.). Google Sites. Retrieved September 11, 2013, from https://sites.google.com/site/udlguidelinesexamples/home/provide-multiple-means-of-representation/provide-options-for-perception/offer-alternatives-for-auditory-information  

No comments:

Post a Comment